Saturday, January 16, 2010

Trekking (Sorry, Hiking) Penang Hill

Penang Hill:


Also known as "Bukit Bendera", Penang Hill is the highest peak in Penang island. From here, more than 2500 ft above sea level, one can catch the most beautiful and panaromic views of the mainland island, and penang bridge.



How it all Started?


I was not sure how would I spend a weekend in Penang. I asked Ching Liang for some help. He, with a lot of enthu, forwarded me some important links on penang tourism and places of interest in Penang. Me being interested in trekking, and since it has really been a long time I did my last trek, "Penang Hill" caught my attention. Ching Liang suggested me to go there, look at the height gain, and decide. He also told me about the small funicular railway that operates between base and top of the hill. He suggested me to go by the train and come back on foot. Later on, in the same day, Lok Kee was asking me about my weekend plans. After I told him about trekking the Penang Hill, he said, "It's not trekking, It's Hiking, Are you sure you wanna do that?" I was puzzled... With my so much interest in doing a trek, I wanted to do this one.. And after all, it was after a long time, I was getting an opportunity to do something like this.. But then, if it is too high, or if weather conditions do not support me what could I have done? I was in dilema. Suddenly, Lok Kee offered me help... He said, "If you want to do this hiking, I will accompany you. I will pick you up from hotel lobby at 07.30am, and we'll go together". Thanks to Lok Kee, my plans were saved from canceling.. :)


At sharp 07:30AM, Lok Kee was there in hotel lobby, we picked up our water bottles and started from there.. On the way, we picked up something to eat as breakfast. (Yes, again, Lok Kee picked up a VEG snack for me!!:)). He then explained me that there are quite a few roads that go to the top of the hill. One of them starts at the funicular train station (Air Itam). The trail is called "Farmer's trail". We can go by that trail so that while coming down, we can enjoy the train ride. We reached the train station, parked the car nearby, and Get Set Go.... It was around 8.10AM...


The trail was very nice and beautiful. On the way, Lok Kee was explaining me a lot about the farming in Penang. The road was very narrow, but tarred. Usually, farmers staying up in the hill, used their two wheelers on this road to transport the produce to the market. The road was so narrow, we literally had to go off the trail and stop to make way for the vehicles. The two wheeler vehicles were very similar in look to Indian "Bajaj-M80", but this one must be more powerful than just 80cc of M-80. On the way, we saw a lot of flower plants, which they mainly use for offering to the God, a lot of different vegetable plantation, some of them being Okra, Tora, Amblem (A fruit that is savor + bitter in taste; but I do not know if we get it in India, and what is it called..), Papaya etc.. A lot of fern trees were also there on the trail.. A lot of "Hibiscus" flower plants were also there. Hibiscus is the national flower of Malaysia, info courtesy: Lok Kee. The weather was pretty helpful as it was not too hot, and was windy a bit. Around 22 to 24 degree celciuls was the temperature. While chatting on the way about various flowers, plants, we reached the half way mark, where a chinese temple is located, around 09.30AM. Lok Kee was saying the pace was a bit slower for him as compared to his usual hiking.. For me, it was not too much exhaustive, but unknowing the next hurdles in the path, I did not want to go too fast....


At the mid point of the trail, we took rest for 10 mins, and started for the next half. The next half, was more of a jungle trek, where the steepness of the trail was varying.. Either too steep, or almost flat.. On the way, we saw some very tall trees. There is an interesting spot on the way to the top of the hill. It is called "Canopy Walk Point". There is a long bridge built between 2 trees at a very high level, and one has to walk over that bridge. The walk is one-way, and built near 4 trees, one after the another. Looking at it, I was reminded the Japanese show that comes on Pogo channel "Takeshi's Castle". Fortunately, there is nobody here to throw the balls at you.. :).. I was excited about it and was thinking to try it out.. But alas!, the service was closed due to non-maintenance of the whole attraction.. Reminded me of India, where multiple tourist spots are not maintained very well too...


Finally, at around 10:45AM, we reached at the top of the hill, where there are a few vista points where one can sit in a shade and enjoy.. We ate some snacks (trail mix etc) over there, and reached the train station. The funicular train was also an interesting item to watch. It is slanted in shape in such way, while traveling up / down your body will remain vertical. The train usually comes at around 30 degree slanted position. It takes almost 15 to 20 mins to reach the original starting point. The crowd, we saw, was increasing to go up. Thanks to Lok Kee, that he suggested we should start early in the day. We were back to the car parking spot by 11AM. Really thanks a lot to Lok Kee for making this trekking (sorry, hiking) experience memorable...


Some of the photos of this experience from my camera.....


A breathtaking view of the city from Penang Hill



Another view of the Cityscape...



Lok Kee..




Plantations are done uphill on the steps..


This is how city was seen from the starting point of the trail..



The M-80 like verhicle (This is Honda)

Look at the nice plantations...


Another view from top...

A Hazy weather (Not too much clearly visible)



Flowers Plantation..


Can you guess what is it? ..A Big Snail...



A fruit that I said is Savor and Bitter (I drank it's juice later on..) Amblem.. (My spelling may not be right..)


Another set og Amblems..

A Nice Flower on the way

(How can I come back without a flower photo?)



Another Flower...



A very short (may be 4 to 5 ft) Papaya tree..



Mid way point..





The idol of the GOD in the temple at the mid way point..





A tree that has no leaves, nothing in the middle of all green..



Lok Kee and me..

Thanks Lok Kee, for the nice picture... :)



A Dense Bamboo Bush


A Fern Plant..

Oh, yes, there were people coming uphill on the bicycles..

Amazing strength and stamina..




Canopy Walkway ICanopy Walkway II Canopy Walkway III

Canopy Walkway IV
Here you start for the walk...
View of Penang Bridge from Penang Hill
Cyclists zooming down...
Do you remember this? Snail mail box... (At the top of the hill)
Me...
Hibiscus Flower, the National Flower of Malaysia
A view at the top of the hill..
At the Vista Point on the top of the hill..
Lok Kee at the same spot..
Funicular Train Version1.0
Funicular Train V1.0
Look at how it has grown.. :)
A view from the top...
Another view...
The real operating funicular train.. Modern Version
The Train Rail Route..
Another train coming up while we are going down..
This view is amazing...
Closer view when the trains pass..
Grandeur view from the train...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures! Nice of you to have done this compilation. I am sure it will be a good informative piece for someone who wants to visit Malaysia.
    Great work. Enjoy your trip and keep posting.

    Meghana

    ReplyDelete